Ten miles of lush coral reefs are home to varied and multicolored fish, to the delight of wildlife and tourists.
The gentle blue sea hitting the white sands and coconut palms in the sea Maracajaú which houses one of the finest marine ecosystems of the Northeast coast. This true natural gem is called Parrachos Maracajaú, a chain of coral reefs that stretches for 10 kilometers of sea, seven kilometers away from the coast. Home to hundreds of species of fish, crustaceans and molluscs, this underwater sanctuary can be visited by humans unless nature is impaired.
Fifteen minutes by boat or 40 minutes by catamaran are sufficient for tourists traveling between two paradises of the beautiful waterfront to the reefs. Already in marine conservation reserves, you can choose between making a purely recreational diving, snorkeling and using basic equipment, know or marine fauna and flora deeper into scuba diving.
The dry form tide pools of clear blue water depths between one and four meters. In this scenario, the diver may participate for a few moments, the game of life of marine species, making a "hide and seek" in the caves and dens inhabited by some critters and visits by other corals looking for food.
The boats leave the beach early in the ebb and return with the tide rising. The dives are always performed when the depth is between one and two meters range that allows optimal visibility of marine fauna.
The tour lasts about two hours. During their stay, the tourists can also have drinks and eat appetizers offered in four "floating" support vessels that are permanently moored offshore. In the paths to and from the boats pass by another tourist spot Maracajaú that Teresa Panza is the lighthouse, built in 1939 and named after a ship that sank in the region.
The Parrachos can be visited by only 981 tourists per day, so the dip does not represent damage to the ecosystem. The rides are controlled by IBAMA and by Idema, Renan environmental agency, which has tax in the region. To get an idea of the success of Attraction, suffice to say that the dips attracted no less than 113 thousand tourists throughout January and February 2008, according to information from the Department of Tourism Maxaranguape County covering the beach Maracajaú.
After enjoy the ride on the reefs, you can still meet other interesting points of destination, including Dunes Maracajaú. The chain combines fixed and mobile dunes and some snippets with colored sands. The tour can be done in a car with four-wheel drive buggy, horseback, ATV or on foot. Remember that the location is great to practice sandboarding.
Another program to anyone going to Maracajaú is the Ma-noa waterpark. With 52 thousand square meters area, greets the visitor with a structure that includes four waterslides-six pools and soccer field, floating bar, restaurant and other attractions. The Ma-noa is two kilometers from the town center and Maracajaú runs every day from 10h to 16h.
Maracajaú also has good restaurants. The local cuisine is based obviously on seafood, with dominance of shrimp, fish and lobster, but without forgetting the regional dishes and its trademarks, including the corned beef, the tack and green beans.
Maracajaú is in the municipality of Maxaranguape, about 50 kilometers from Natal. If the Tupi language "Maracajaú" meant only as "the drink of maracajás Indians", "Maxaranguape" seems to have more meaning. Researchers say the word, among other senses, makes reference to "the land of Fire," "Rattlesnake Valley", "place of brave people" and "Never Ending".
This Long Valley was even blessed when it comes to beach. Besides Maracajaú, the city of 10 thousand visitors also reserve the coastal beauty of Cape St. Roque, and Caraúbas bar Maxaranguape.
The beach of Cabo de Sao Roque, besides being beautiful, is remarkable for two other reasons: the Americas is the point closest to the African coast and hinterland and unites in one place. The meeting of the typical vegetation of the dunes and scrub flora of the sea gives even more charm to a beach that retains a certain air untapped.
This semi-desert "expensive" beach also gives a special touch to the beach Caraúbas, a charming slice toasted by cliffs and reefs that has not been fully discovered even by the North Rio Grande.
The most urban beach in the municipality is Maxaranguape bar, crowded resort destination of the North Coast. The best time to enjoy the place is low tide, since the high waves come very close to the homes of the sea. The beach has a tourism center with selling crafts and standardized kiosks serving snacks, meals and drinks.
It is the beach of "bar" as the natives and vacationers call, which is the Tree of Love, a natural accident that became a source of inspiration for the romantic couples. There are actually two trees, two gameleiras that embrace. The legend that the place brings luck and makes passionate love to eternal success among tourists visiting the area and are keen to know the unusual tree.
Maxaranguape also has several other interesting points off the sea. The Lagoa Grande and Lagoa do Baião are ideal for swimming and water sports. The two lakes are accessible by trail, which can be done on foot, horseback or even ATV.
The territory of the municipality also saves nine archaeological sites, with records of occupation hundreds and thousands of years ago. The site Bahia Gorda, for example, is in the interval between two fixed dunes and has a lot of rest ceramic. The site Maceió, in turn, also have many signs of human occupation.
The known history of Maxaranguape dates back to 1666, when the town received the Holy Cross, his landmark foundation. The framework was put in possession of the governor of allotment, João Fernandes Vieira, represented by Father Leonardo Tavares de Melo, vicar of Natal.
In the early 19th century the settlement was already clearly visible. Fishermen and vacationers (yes, they existed at that time and were planters in the region) built their houses around the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição.
Two important for the growth factors were populated good quality land and abundant fishing. In severe drought that hit the Rio Grande do Norte from 1877 to 1879, many sertanejos fled to the coast and the fertile valley on the banks of the River Maxaranguape was one of the preferred destinations. Maxaranguape became an autonomous municipality on December 17, 1958, when it ceased to be a hamlet of the town of Touros.