House of Câmara Cascudo, Rio Grande do Norte
Learn the history of one of the most important names of RN
Luis da Câmara Cascudo is one of the most respected researchers of folklore and ethnography of Brazil and the main intellectual name of Rio Grande do Norte state.
The son of a colonel and a housewife, from a wealthy family, Louis of Cascudo studied at Externato Heart of Jesus, a girls' school run by nuns. Had private tutors and then, by the will of the father, moved to the Colegio Antonio.
During adolescence, had a reputation for philandering, but ended up falling in love with a girl of sixteen, Dahlia, whom he married in 1929. They had two sons, Luis Fernando and Ana Maria Cascudo.
Cascudo held various public functions, including teacher, school principal, secretary of the Court of Justice and State Legal Adviser. As a journalist, signed a chronic daily in the newspaper "The Republic" and contributed to several other Recife news organizations and other capitals.
In politics, was promoter of fundamentalist ideology (a Brazilian adaptation of fascism), acting militancy in the press. In 1951 he became Professor of Public International Law at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte.
Three years later, launched his most important work as a folklorist, the "Brazilian Folklore Dictionary", reference work worldwide. In the field of ethnography, published several important books as "Network Sleep" in 1959, "Food History in Brazil" in 1967 and "Earth Names" in 1968. Published later, among others, "Geography of Myths Brazilian ", with which you received the John Ribeiro award from the Brazilian Academy of Letters.
In 1965, Cascudo wrote a definitive work, "History of Rio Grande do Norte", collecting research on their homeland, which never turned off. His completed work, dense and vast, encompassing more than 150 volumes. The researcher worked until his last years and was awarded dozens of honors and awards. He died aged 87.
Ludovicus - Chamber Institute of Câmara Cascudo
The Ludovicus - Cascudo Institute is a civil association, non-profit in order to preserve, promote, manage and capitalize on the cultural heritage of Luis Cascudo. The institute's headquarters are located in the house where Cascudo lived.
Located at Av. Cascudo on Natal Center, the house where Cascudo lived most of his life, has always been a reference address of our state's culture. Correspondents' Cascudo out of Brazil wrote in the envelope just CAMERA LUÍS Cascudo - NATAL - BRAZIL, and the letter arrived, prissy, to the correct address. In it, Cascudo not only lived, but wrote almost all of his immense work and accumulated one of the largest "Brazilian cultural wealth". It was at a manor that Ary Barroso drew a pentagram on the wall with the first Watercolor Compass Brazil, followed by the dedication ". When genius and friend Ary".
Also Assis Chateaubriand, the all-powerful owner of Associated Journals, the largest network of radio stations, television stations and newspapers in the country to 60, write, on the wall: "I will be glued to this house as a husky in the background the Potengi river. "
The house was built as a cottage in 1900, the industrial Afonso Saraiva Maranhão. Today, despite some minor renovations, the building still has its original features, such as deployment on the street alignment. It has a rectangular plan, with coverage in two water falling to the side of the land patios, with this cover sold for a cornice (protruding frames that serve tailpiece to the top of the buildings) and lambrequins (ornament in the shape of a lacy) highlighting the eclectic treatment of work. In its front facade, there is the influence of the neoclassical style in the presence of a triangular pediment with an oculus (opening or circular or oval window) Central.
Originally the house belonged to the father of Cascudo, Judge José Teotônio Freire (1858-1944), who acquired it in March 18, 1910 for the price of 8: 000 $ 00 (eight contos) in legal tender, upon transfer Afonso Saraiva, former owner, Natal. The deed of the house were drawn by Notary Miguel Leandro do in Natal Birth to 17 June 1910. In it was born wife Shelly, Shelly Dahlia Freire, married Dona Cascudo and Dahlia were born their children Luis Fernando and Anna Maria, and married his daughter Anna Maria. On January 17, 1947, Shelly bought the cottage of his mother Dona Maria Leopoldina Viana Freire for the price of 70,000 cruises legal and currency, since the father had died. He lived there until the end of his days, in 1986, and where always came back saying: "The best of the trip is to be back". In 1990, she was declared the state level in order to protect and historic preservation.