Parrachos Maracajaú. The Caribbean is here.
Ten miles of lush reefs
The blue sea hitting meek on the white sands and palm trees of seaside Maracajaú which houses one of the finest marine ecosystems of the Northeast coast. This true natural gem is Parrachos call Maracajaú, a chain of coral reef that stretches for 10 miles from the sea, seven kilometers away from the coast. Home to hundreds of species of fish and shellfish, this underwater sanctuary can be visited by humans without that nature is impaired.
Fifteen minutes by boat or 40 minutes by catamaran are sufficient for tourists traveling between two havens, the beautiful waterfront to the reefs. In the marine conservation reserve, you can choose between making a purely recreational diving, snorkeling and using basic equipment, or know the marine fauna and flora deeper in scuba diving.
The low tide forms natural pools with clear blue water depths between one and four meters. In this scenario, the diver can participate for a few moments, the game of life of marine species, making a "hide and seek" in the caves and dens inhabited by some animals and visited by other looking corals in search of food.
The boats leave the beach early in the low tide and come back with the rising tide. The dives are always performed when the depth is between one and two meters range that allows the best possible visibility of marine fauna.
The tour lasts about two hours. During their stay, tourists can also have drinks and eat snacks offered in four "floating" support vessels that are moored permanently at sea. In round-trip paths, vessels undergo another tourist spot Maracajaú, which is the lighthouse Teresa Panza, built in 1939 and is named after a ship that sank in the region.
The Parrachos can be visited by only 981 tourists a day, so that the dip represents no damage to the ecosystem. The tours are controlled by IBAMA and by Idema, Renan environmental agency, which has tax in the region. To get an idea of the success of attraction, suffice to say that the dips attracted no less than 113 thousand tourists throughout January and February 2008, according to information from the Department of Tourism Maxaranguape, municipality covering Maracajaú Beach.
After the sea, the dunes and the Ma-Noa Park.
After enjoy the ride on the reefs, you can still meet other interesting points of destination, including the Maracajaú dunes. The chain brings together mobile and fixed dunes and some snippets with colored sands. The tour can be done by car with four-wheel drive, buggy, horseback, ATV or on foot. Remember, the location is great to practice sandboarding.
Another program to anyone going to the water park is Maracajaú Ma-noa. With 52 thousand square meters, greets the visitor with a structure that includes four slides and six swimming pools and soccer field, floating bar, restaurant and other attractions. The Ma-noa is two kilometers from the Maracajaú village and open every day from 10am to 16h.
Maracajaú also has good restaurants. The local cuisine is based obviously on seafood, with a predominance of shrimp, fish and lobster, but without forgetting the regional dishes and its trademarks, including the dried meat, the tack and the green beans.
The other beaches of Maxaranguape
Maracajaú is in the city of Maxaranguape, about 50 kilometers from Natal. If the Tupi language "Maracajaú" meant only as "the drink of maracajás Indians", "Maxaranguape" seems to have more meaning. Researchers say the word, among other meanings, refers to "Tierra del Fuego", "Rattlesnake Valley", "place of brave people" and "Long Valley".
This Long Valley was even blessed when it comes to beach. Besides Maracajaú, the city of 10,000 inhabitants also reserve the visitors the coastal beauty of Cape St. Roque, Caraúbas and Maxaranguape bar.
The beach of Cabo de São Roque, besides being beautiful, is remarkable for two reasons: it is the point of closest Africa Americas and unites coast and hinterland in one place. The meeting of the typical vegetation of the savanna with the dunes and the flora of the seaside gives even more charm to a beach that retains an air unexplored.
This "face" of semi-deserted beach also gives a special touch to the beach Caraúbas, a charming stretch toasted by cliffs and reefs that has not been fully discovered by even the North Rio Grande own.
The most urban beach of the city is Maxaranguape bar, competitive North Coast vacation destination. The best time to enjoy the place is low tide, since in high waves arrive very close to the houses of the seaside. The beach has a tourism center with craft sale and standardized kiosks serving snacks, meals and drinks.
It is on the beach of "bar" as the natives and vacationers call, which is the Tree of Love, a natural accident that turned source of inspiration for the romantic couples. There are actually two trees, two gameleiras hugging each other. The legend that the site gives luck and eternal love to love is popular with tourists visiting the area and are keen to know the unusual tree.
Ponds and archaeological sites
Maxaranguape also has several other interesting points off the sea. The Great Pond and the Baião lagoon are ideal for swimming and water sports. The two lakes are accessible by trail, which can be done on foot, on horseback or ATV.
The municipal territory also saves nine archaeological sites, with occupancy records hundreds and thousands of years ago. The site Bahia Gorda, for example, is in the interval between two fixed dunes and has a lot of rest ceramic. Maceió site, in turn, also has many signs of human occupation.
The history of the city
The known history of Maxaranguape dates back to 1666, when the town received the Holy Cross, its March Foundation. The milestone was put in possession of the governor of the allotment, John Fernandes Vieira, represented by Father Leonardo Tavares de Melo, Natal vicar.
In the early 19th century the settlement was already clearly visible. Fishermen and vacationers (yes, they existed at the time, and were masters of ingenuity in the region) built their houses around the Chapel of Our Lady of Conception.
Two important factors in the village of growth were the good quality of the land and the abundant fishing. In the great drought in Rio Grande do Norte from 1877 to 1879, many country people fled to the coast and the fertile valley of the River Maxaranguape banks was one of the preferred destinations. Maxaranguape became an autonomous municipality on December 17, 1958, when it ceased to be a village of the town of Bulls.